Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Fish is Bigger than Yours! (10/11/10)

Let’s say today is the last day of trout season. Knowing that this is your last opportunity to spend time on the smaller creeks that, unlike a handful of larger streams, are not open all year, what do you do? If you are Donny P you spend the day chasing trout and busting brush with your son. Alec, an eleven year old soccer prodigy, has grown up around fishing. When younger, he often would see his Dad and I pack our gear and take off for the day. It was a common occurrence for him to spend the afternoon on the end of a dock catching bluegill accompanied by his younger sister and my daughter. Before long, Alec had graduated to spinner fishing and his first pair of waders. With a little practice he was catching brook trout and enjoying himself while doing so. Sooner than later, he was picking off bluegill with a fly rod his Dad had passed down
to him.


Years ago I introduced Donny P to the small stream that I grew up on, a stream that is home to beautiful brook trout and large brown trout, a stream that I do not share with just anybody. This is where Donny P chose to spend the day with his son while finishing the trout season. While I do not know the exact specifics of the day that was shared between father and son, I do know that Alec out-fished his Dad. Alec, while casting on a submerged log in a slow deep bend, hooked, fought, and landed a beautiful sixteen inch brown trout, the biggest trout of the day. Way to go Alec! That is another thing that you and I now have it common, because I too out-fish your Dad! =)

Stay tuned, Donny P is working on a write-up that I will be posting soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment