Thursday, March 29, 2012

Impressive (6/13/11)

Another Wednesday… another fishing trip. This past Wednesday proved a little different than most of my fishing trips this year in that, as it turned out, I fished with Donny P. It is hard to fathom, but this was the first time Don and I had fished together since before the start of trout season. While I consider Don one of my best friends, there is something you should know about him. Don plays in a different sandbox than I do. He owns an expensive top-of-the-line truck that I do not believe has seen dirt and his other car is a Cadillac that I am pretty sure, if it saw dirt, would turn around a go home. So if Don wants to do some trout fishing he is pretty much resigned to riding shotgun in my truck. He’s my b*tch! Ok, so it’s not exactly like that. (I only call Don my b*tch until he threatens to stop tying flies for me!)
We were in my truck and pointed north by 4:00. With only one stop needing to be made for gas and McDonalds, the trip was relatively quick. I find that the trips north seem shorter when there is good company along for the ride. (Yes I know I am sucking up now, but I did just call the guy a b*tch!) On the drive north, I asked Don where he wanted to fish since he doesn’t get to fish as much as I do. “Oh no, I’m not picking the river or the stretch! I read your last blog post and there is NO WAY you are blaming it on me if the fishing sucks!” Well alrighty then! I gave it some thought and not only picked our destination, but the method in which we would fish as well.

When we left my house it was hot, on its way to 96 degrees, and I had a hunch that, with those kinds of temps, there would be a good hatch. Once again however, I was wrong. Just when I begin to think I really know what I am doing, the weather brings me back down to reality. There was no hatch because it was extremely windy, windier that when we left home in fact. The wind was strong enough to penetrate the trees and hit the river with enough force to put a chop on the water. Needless to say, fly fishing was off the table.
With spinning gear in hand, Don and I tried our best to put fish stink on our hands over the last few hours of remaining daylight. In that short period of time, I was both amazed and impressed with how many fish we saw. (Note: In the previous sentence I said “saw” not “caught.”) It seemed on every cast a small brown or rainbow trout would give chase… sometimes four fish at a time. It is nice to know that particular river is, and will continue to be, an excellent fishery. Generations to come, like me, will be able to know the frustration of not catching fish, although they can see with their own eyes that there are plenty in the river.
At the end of the day, we handled our share of trout. Both Don and I caught several browns and several rainbows. The fishing was almost as good as the company, (sucking up again). My best trout of the trip was a gorgeous 16 inch brown trout that I was able to land after a spectacular battle. How many fish over 12 inches did Donny P catch? None! Take that b*tch! :)













No comments:

Post a Comment